Sunday, September 19, 2010

Meet Dolce!

Last month I was commissioned to make one of my Kudzu's Whimzy-style dragons. I hadn't made one in a while, so I eagerly accepted. The customer only had one request...she wanted her to look sweet and kinda goofy. GOOFY?!?!?!?! Um ok so this had me rather stumped as I never have been able to capture the wonderful facial expressions like Sally can. But that's why they are HER dragons and mine are 'in the style of' LOL

So I knew right away I wanted pink...nothing says sweet to me like pink! As I fiddled around mixing colors and saw a butterfly land on a plant out in my flower bed...and it was a lightbulb moment!


Dolce was entirely sculpted by hand using polymer clay, her eyes are a blackish purple faceted Czech glass bead and her wings...well her wings are my secret! Just kidding! =D I actually recycle used dryer sheets, by painting them with a mixture of acrylic paints and tacky glue. after they dry I make the wire 'bones' which get glued down. After that glue drys the 'bones' are covered with either fabric paint or more glue/paint mix. When they are completely dry the wing shapes are trimmed out and inserted into the hole I made in the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say! =D