Hooray, I've actually made a few things in the last few days!
I started playing about with the cupcake mold I bought months ago for making 1:4 scale cupcakes. I know that some people make their little ridged cupcake bottoms by hand... I tried, I really did, but I couldn't get the hang of making all those tiny ridges on each and every cupcake. I'd get one side done and end up smooshing it while doing the other side or mashing the whole thing out of shape while trying to hold it. So once I discovered that there were industrious folks out there selling molds of great looking cupcake bottoms, well, I jumped...and fast! LOL I own molds for 1:12, 1:6 and 1:4 scale cupcakes. But that is really the only part of the cupcake I mold. The actual cake part itself is hand shaped, textured and colored. And the frosting and decorations are all done by hand as well. So I guess like Sandra Lee, my doll cupcakes are semi-homemade! :-)
Next I found a small chunk of a green/pearl/black cane, so I sliced that up but was only able to make 2 cupcakes from that one.
I love making cupcakes, they are so much fun, and there are so many cute ways you can decorate cupcakes!
I think I'm going to make some like this tomorrow in Barbie size... those are so small that they'll get topped with a single butterfly.
My next cupcakes are ones I've wanted to do for ages, but couldn't, due to not having a clay that was strong enough at a very thin thickness. Well I finally found that clay in the brand Pardo! The best place to buy it is online through PolyClayPlay. It's more expensive than Premo, but it's performance is amazing.
So what are these fabulous cupcakes I've wanted to make... THESE!
Months ago I saw these cupcakes and these ones and just KNEW I had to recreate them somehow. So I set about making a half dozen roses and hand tinting each one, so no two roses are the same. The roses were baked first. Then I followed up by making solid pink liners topped with red velvet cake.
After the cakes had cooled completely, I frosted them with a thick layer of white frosting and gently pressed the rose into the frosting. They had to dry for about 2 days to be fully cured.
Of course once they were all dry, I decided that nope, they weren't done yet. So today I started hand painting every other ridge white. I have 3 completely painted so far and NOW I can say that they are indeed done!
To take a break from claying this morning I took our boys on a little nature hike, but this post is already long and it's late and I need to switch the laundry and load the dishwasher, so I guess I'll tell you all about that tomorrow!