Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Artist of the Week!!!!


Today I am featuring a fantastic glass artist...I hope you enjoy meeting Rebecca Werner, the creative force behind FiraMarina! Rebecca can be found all over the net...She lists her gorgeous beads on both Ebay and Etsy (although at the moment her beads are on Ebay...you can view her SOLD beads in her Etsy store.) rebecca also has a blog, a Twitter and of course a Flickr account.

1. What brought you into your chosen craft or art?
Since I was a child, I've always loved fashion and design but more than anything, I LOVE color! Painting and working with clay making small sculptures were my first loves and I actually still work with them on occasion. But one day... while looking around on the internet... I found this site about making glass beads and had a feeling it would be something I would really enjoy. I researched the heck out of it...bought a start up kit... and the rest is history! I truly love what I do!!!


2. Do you have a favorite piece that you have created?
That's hard!!! I'll pick a few though since I do a variety of shapes and styles. Some of my favorite Silver Linings are



A few of my favorite sets are



A few favorite focals are.....

I have so many more but these are just a few!

3. What would you tell someone who would like to venture into creating?
First... find what works for you! Like in my case... just because I wanted to sew, that didn't make me good at it!!! ; ) Find what's natural for you... what you are good at! Experiment a little... try different things. What do you feel makes up who you are? What's some of your favorite things? Since mine was color, fashion, and design lampwork was perfect for me! It incorporates all three. Most of all.... PLEASE be original! No it's not hard to be unique! Just be who you are and create what comes from that. Use your imagination... find things that inspire you besides what everyone else is doing! I've never taken one class and I never will. That's just me though... I don't want to be influenced. Learn the technical part from teachers or books (like how to set things up or materials needed) but get the designs and inspiration from YOU and your surroundings.

I hope you will take a few minutes (or hours, as it's possible to become captivated in the mass of lovely shapes and colors of Rebecca's beads :-D) to visit some of the FiraMarina sites.

2 comments:

  1. beautiful Rebecca ! went through a phase when i bought a ton of lampwork beads and considered making my own but i've got WAY too many pots on my stove as it is ! Your work is truly lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ban I so understand...glass is another medium, I'd love to try, but yeah way too many irons in my fire already! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say! =D