Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Almost time to light the fire!!!


Yesterday I decided to set aside the case of The Fears I had and get to painting!
What are The Fears, you ask?  Well it's that feeling you get when you find yourself asking things like; What if I mess it up? What if it turns out horrible? What if I don't know what I'm doing?   The Fears are also known as What If Syndrome. And I think it's something that many artists deal with. Especially when trying something new.  But I decided last night that, this fireplace is only cardboard.  Worst case scenario I find a new box and start over.  So I mixed up a cream colored paint and painted the entire fireplace with is. I wanted to lighten up the original color of the egg cartons as well as cover up and writing.  Adding the paint also softened up the 'rocks' which allowed me to use a couple different blunt tipped tools to soften the edges of the rocks and add in a few subtle details.

I left it dry over night and this morning did the actual rock painting.  I used a palette of 5 different colors: cream, sage green, light tan, charcoal and a metallic beige.  I used a cheap brush that I dempened, then just started to pounce on the various colors.  I didn't clean my brush out.  If a spot was too dark I added more cream and tan. If it looked too light I added just a touch of black and green.  All in all it was actually pretty easy to do, and I am thrilled with the result!  I let that dry and then painted the inside of the fireplace with a rich charcoal color. 

Next step... the hearth!  I think I'm going to try for a slate look!



2 comments:

  1. Wow! It's looking really great! You would never guess the bricks were originally egg carton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It really is amazing what a bit of paint can do!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say! =D